Welcome to our website. Leicester Morrismen are a group of ordinary guys of varied ages and backgrounds,who share a love of the Morris and like having fun!
Morris Dancing has been part of English life for at least six hundred years and there is continuing argument as to its origins and age and while it was unique to England there are clear similarities to traditional dances from elsewhere.
Leicester Morrismen are back in action following HM Government’s updated advice.
We have missed the comradeship of our fellow dancers and opportunity to entertain and interact with our audiences, and surprise surprise, we have missed the opportunities to have a pint of good beer in local pubs. All of our commitments for 2020 were cancelled so for the first time in 62 years our programme of Wednesday evening tours did not take place.
Since mid-June we have organised some out-door practice sessions and now feel ready for a few public performances – just to see how well our memories and unused legs stand up to it! We have picked a few pubs from our defunct 2020 Programme and will perform at one venue each Wednesday for the rest of the season.
We will start at 7.45pm with a few dances then have a short break before doing a few more.
- 28th July 2021 The Curzon Arms, Woodhouse, LE12 8QZ
- 4th August 2021 The Crown, Asfordby LE14 3SA
- 11th August 2021 The Plough, Littlethorpe LE19 2HS
- 18th August 2021 The Bakers’ Arms, Thorpe Langton LE16 7TS
- 25th August 2021 The Queen Victoria, Syston LE7 1GQ
- 1st Sept 2021 The Rising Sun, Shackerstone CV13 6NN
- 8th Sept 2021 The New Inn, Peggs Green LE67 8JE
We hope that you will be able to see us at one of these fine pubs.